At 05:38 PM 11/4/97 -0500, Vicki wrote:
>    I would like some input on the types of policies or information that
>
>you possibly distribute to students at the first class concerning your
>library classes in regards to assignments, how to take tests in your
>class, etc.  Also, do you prepare a syllabus type paper that informs the
>
>students on the different assignments that they will be required to
>complete?
>
>This was the only response I received in regards to this question.
>Anyone else have  suggestions?

I purposely keep my instructions to the basic - I believe too many of us
overteach - I prefer to get to the basics. Much of what I do depends on the
subject, the level of the students, the teacher, etc. For some basic level
classes I often provide an advanced organizer so the student can take notes
on what I have to say. I would guess. though, that I rarely ever lecture
more than 10 min. I prefer to do one-on-one - after the initial instruction.
By the time I get them in 9th grade- they should have had basic library
instruction from K-8.

My library is open and unstructured - therefore no tests, etc. I also do not
get involved in grading or even reviewing any essays or papers written. Once
in a while a teacher will ask him to read a paper and determine if I believe
there has been some copying or other form of plagerism present.

The bulk of my teaching lately seems to be Internet searching;
journal/newspaper searching via MAS, ProQuest, Electric Library, CDNewsBank.
I teach basic Internet info (altho i may call on a district trainer for at
times to lessen my burden) and strategies concerning Internet authority, etc.

I do keep all assignments on file at the circulation desk so the library
aides are fully acquainted with the work required - also i list what
resources I taught, length of assignment- suggested search strategies - this
helps with communication

Hope this helps.

Dr. Allan Cuseo, Librarian
Greece Arcadia High School
Rochester New York 14612
acuseo@greeceny.com

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/