Heck no.

I have things to do that are more critical and require my expertise. I
do not shelve books. Shelving is not a good use of my more expensive and
sought after time.

First, let me say that I am not a librarian; I do not have a MLS.  Because
of this I wondered if I had anything to offer to the discussion.  It is
entirely possible that many of you will think I do not. I usually tell
people that if you can file in the card catalog or shelve books routinely
and you still desire to work in a library, you have the "calling." :)

Besides that, I am wondering if this kind of attitude has anything to do
with the fact that in California and probably in other areas of the
country, the "powers that be" have decided that in elementary schools
librarians are not necessary and paraprofessionals such as myself can do
"everything a librarian would do" for less money.  Before you get
"inflamed," please let me state that I know that I am not providing the
same services to my students that a librarian would.  But there are many
people out there that do not know the difference.  I have to agree with
Earl that the goal of libraries is to provide a service to our patrons.  It
doesn't necessarily include shelving books (if you have help!) but it
certainly doesn't exclude it, either.  Also, it is very likely that if
California elementary schools had librarians many more of the students here
would be qualified and able to help shelve books.

I appreciate the opportunity to submit my thoughts on this issue.

Julia Christian
Library Media Assistant
Monroe Elementary School
Riverside, CA
j..christian@worldnet.att.net

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/