Netters:

Last month I wrote my first grant request for technology, at the request of
my principal. I am the only paid library staff member and my other "staff"
are all part-time parent volunteers - we are all very busy during the school
day (as I'm sure all of you are!).

For this reason, I wrote the grant (8 pages) at home during my own time,
although I did consult the principal on several occasions for guidance and
information during my work hours.

The grant (being my first, and quite detailed) took me several evenings of
several hours each, writing and rewriting.

My question: Is grant writing usually a "voluntary" task (meaning on one's
own time) on the part of the writer if that person is an employee? Or is it
generally expected to be done during the regular work hours?  This was a
grant for technology to be used in the library.

Since the principal was pleased with the written results, I'm sure she'll
ask me again (and possibly frequently) to write additional grant requests.
What is an appropriate response? I am not a full-time employee - I have a
paid working day of about five hours. Oh, by the way, when I asked about
getting additional hours for meeting the regular needs of my students (about
800 k-8 graders + 40 staff members) the principal suggested that I find a
grant and apply for it . . .

I will post a "hit" if enough people are interested and I receive adequate
replies - Thanks!

Joanne Ladewig
Information Center Director
Fairgrove Academy
(a K-8 public school focusing on the Visual and Performing Arts, and Technology)
La Puente, CA
jladewig@ns700-1.enet.hlpusd.k12.ca.us     (all lower case)
home email: shatz@lightside.com