Greetings LM_Netters,
     I am a brand new elementary librarian getting ready to begin a
position at a brand new K-5 elementary school.  I am looking for games
and activities that will help me get to know 750 children's names as
quickly as possible. I'll be teaching in a very structured setting, so I
could conceivably use a seating chart and name tags, but I'd prefer to
use some clever games that would make the children's first experiences
with the library (and myself) very positive.
      In addition, I'd appreciate suggestions for dealing with library
cards for these ages.  At this point, I am thinking of making a
posterboard for each teacher's class and putting pockets for each of the
children's library cards on it.  I want to keep these in the library so
students can pull their card from the pocket, check-out, and then
replace it.  In addition, I was considering placing each child's school
picture on the pocket. (I thought this might help myself as well as my
volunteers put names with faces.)  Have any of you run into trouble
displaying children's photographs?  I would appreciate any feedback
concerning these issues.
Thanks in advance! I'll  post a hit of the responses I receive.
Tanya Dillon
School Librarian
Painted Sky Elementary School
Albuquerque, NM