It proved to be very interesting what names have been given to
our workplaces to attempt to reflect what goes on there. Listed
below are the names in alphabetical order:
        Center for Learning Resources
        Curriculum Center
        IMC: either Information Media Center
                or  Instructional Materials Center
        Information Center
        Information Resource Center
        Information Services
        Information Technology Center
        Information Technology Library
        Instructional Materials Resource Area
        Instructional Resource Center
        Learning Resources Center
        Library Information Center
        Library Media Activity Center
        Library Media Center
        Library Resources Center
        Media Services Center
(Center was also spelled Centre for those in Canada.) Two
specific situation couldn't fit in the above categories: A
college with the "extended Learning Center" (i.e. computer lab)
on one floor and the "Library/Learning Resource Center" on the
other floor. The library of The Professional Children's School
was recently renovated and due to large donations is now called
"the Gladys Brooks Library, the Jeffrey Lawrence Learning
Center, and the Vincent Astor Conference and Research Room".
(This is only one room.)
        The consensus of opinion seems to be that no matter
what we call it, the patrons will continue to call it the
library. (One librarian mentioned that parents who don't know
what to call it say, "Where is the Library Media Computer
Technology Book Place?" I love it!) It's now my considered
opinion that we simply need to enlarge the definition of
"Library" rather than try to change the name to something else.
Thank you to all who responded.

--
Deborah M. Cooke  Salem Church Middle School  Chesterfield County
(suburban Richmond) Virginia  USA  dcooke@pen.k12.va.us    *