Thanks to all that responded on my request for those who have nothing to
do.  It is nice to know I am not the only one with the problem.  It seems
to happen on Fridays when teachers give free days and when we have subs.
The "just send them back if they are a problem" gets old.  The principal is
sending out a notice that the library is not a student union.

I have decided to try limiting the number of students from study hall, and
classes.  They must sign in and sign out when they leave.  It seems to be
working....the day has gone smoothly.

As far as the games go...they are for the study hall students who have been
put in study hall because we have no classes for them.  That problem has
been solved.

The following are some suggestions I received.  I received so many that I
decided just to include a few of them.  Again, thanks so much.

 really like that you're thinking about giving them something to do, rather
than banishing them from the library, as seems to happen so often.

At both the k-12 library I used to be in, and my present k-5 library, I have
games and puzzles and magazines available for downtime.  I only ask that they
find something to do when they come in, and they are always quite happy to do
so.  I tried computer games for awhile, but they were TOO popular, so I had to
restrict those to before and after school.  I try to have a jigsaw puzzle
going on one table.  I have a lot of those little solitaire-type logic
games...the Rubic's cube type games.  One I have that is very popular, and
would be for any age is called, I think, Traffic Jam.  Chess is good too.  I
have found that games that allow for more than two players can be rather
disruptive.

I hope this helps; I applaud your position :-)
******************

In my previous job, in a middle school, I would get students in the
library from study halls.  Each study hall could send only a certain
number of students.  Each had to bring a pass and sign in.  Each pass
had to state reason for being in library (research on ?; recreational
reading).  It was neither a social time nor a games time. If it were, it
would take away from the idea of the library as a resource center.  Kids
who didn't do what they were supposed to be doing could be returned to
study halls.  I would "bother" some kids by periodically checking on how
I could help with their research.  It worked.

*****************

Our kids like to play chess and they also like to put together jigsaw
puzzles, particularly the 3-D ones.

*****************

I'm the librarian for a correctional facility which houses all the male
inmates in NC who are under age 18.  When they come to the library, we have
available the usual magazines and newspapers, and also have chess, checkers
and "MasterMind" games for them to use.  We also have a listening center
with pop music, which probably isn't on your local school budget list ;)

This pretty well takes care of the ones who just came in to get out of the
housing areas!

***********************

You will need administrative support, but what I did when I was in a high
school situation (and study hall teachers were in the habit of sending their
most "troublesome" students to the library to get them out of THEIR hair!) was
to establish a policy wherein the library was to be used by students needing
to access resources to complete classroom assignments.  Of course,
recreational reading such as magazines, newpapers and book check-out was also
a legitimate use of the LMC.  Once the policy was established, those students
not abiding by it (i.e. - screwing around!) were asked to leave.  We had a
sinfully small library for the size of the student body and could not afford
to take up space with kids just blowing off time.  And believe me, they know
who they are!  It took fully two years to turn the problem around, but it did
work.  If it were me, I would NOT go the game route since that would send the
message that the library is a place to come play rather than a place for
academics - but that is just my own personal view.  Good luck!

********************

Evelyn, I have three rules posted in the library : Be on time; Have
something to do; Do it quietly and independently. When a kid is sitting
with nothing to do I remind them of rule 2,a nd suggest they get a
magazine, newspaper, or book to read. They also can put their head on a
table and sleep. If they are unable to find something to do they almost
invariably become a problem. I might tell them again, then I send
them back to study hall. Several times I have urged students to plan to
have something to do before they come into the library. Usaully they are
friendly about this and they certainly know what I expect from them. I
would say that you should define for yourself what is most important for
you and devise simple rules to achieve your goals. Then post them: if they
are in plain view the arguments and misunderstanding of expectations are
much reduced. Good luck!

*******************

I used to allow chess but now I don't bother. The rule is "You must be
     working or you might as well go back to study hall." I offer the
     dustcloth  to anyone who claims to have nothing to do. Immediately
     books, mags, and  papers appear!!  :-)

     It is not a perfect solution but it works for us and we have fewer
     problems now.

**********************

Chess! My 3-8 graders love to play chess. It's a great strategy game.
Helps with thinking skills, etc.

*********************

My seating capacity is limited (65) and so I ask that only 5 students come
from a SH at a time (we have several study halls each period) so I can end
up with 30 - 40 from SH's.  In addition, they may come in from lunch or with
an honors pass.  That way I can try to control numbers.

Sometimes on Fridays, especially before vacations or during hectic weeks, I
play classical music and let them be noisier.  We don't announce it, but
they know and I think appreciate it.  I realize this is the only place they
really have to socialize and relax during the school day so I try not to
have conniptions.  Good luck - hope one more voice in the wilderness helps!

*******************

Well, of course, you can ask them if they're getting all A's...  But
realistically, here's my experience:  chess is an incredibly populqar
activity in my library.  We have a few chess sets.  You have to put it
in a strategic location, and expect that kibbitzers will pull up extra
chairs.  A few years ago I started broing in little wooden and metal
puzzles -- they love them.  They're not allowed to play computer games,
but our academic dean approves chress, because it's an "intellectual
pursuiit."  It does NOT cause a huge crowd or a lot of noise.  I love
watching the kdis take on challengers, young palaying old, etc.  We are
a boys' high school.

*******************

I'd like to add that chess promotes quiet, since it's a thinking
game. There may be oohs and aaahhs from the kibbitzers, but they also
do it quietly.  It also attracts players from many different
backgrounds and abilities

******************

I would not consider games or crafts. You are not the cruise director. I
take the position that high school is the student's job, and unless they
each have a 98% average, they ALL have something to do.

 Our teachers have always been supportive of the library as a place for
students to get work done, so they agreed about 20 years ago to go to a
system where the teacher assigning homework or a project would write the
student a pass to the library from study hall.  This accomplishes two
things:

#1 - no more study hall teachers dumping kids in the library - who
distract kids and classes trying to work, and

#2 the student and the teacher negotiate about using the library - if
the student doesn't work, I get that message to the teacher, who then
follows up, and may not write another pass for a while.

The fallback is me.  If a student wants to read or forgot to ask the
teacher then we have the same negotation, and I write the pass.

It has worked really well to eliminate the  student who just blows off
time in the library and takes your attention away from  kids who need
you.

You might propose this to a supportive group.  It takes teacher support
to make it work, but teachers like it because it gives them CONTROL.

I also have a few rules for the library:

-come prepared to work (books, pens, paper, etc.)
-come on time, if late, you need a pass
-respect the needs other have for a reasonably quiet place to work

**********************

put them to work!  I have kids cover paperbacks with laminate, shelf
     read, sort magazines & catalogs, type spine labels and pockets, even
     create displays.  Generally, they're either happy to have something to
     do or they quickly "remember" an assignment they had to work on.  I
     only have a part-time aide, so it's a good way to get a lot of the
     clerical work done, allowing me to focus on more "professional" work.

     I'd be wary of games.  It's a rare kid who would choose homework over
     games.  Before you know it, no one will have any homework to do.
************************

We no longer have study halls :) but we have a similar problem when subs
are in the building.  We have a "pass and a purpose" philosophy.  The
student must come to the library with a written pass (in the case of a
study hall or substitute, from a subject area teacher NOT the sub or study
hall supervisor) and a specific purpose.  That purpose could be to read
magazines, find a book to check out, research an assignment, etc.  This has
created a very business like atmosphere in my facility that both staff and
students like.  We also have a sign in sheet at the door so students log
what time they arrive, from what teacher/class they are, and when they
leave.  At the end of every month, I compile the information from the
sheets as part of my monthly report to show library usage.  The students
did not like the check in sheets at first (made them accountable for where
they were) but when we explained they were for library use statistics, they
signed in readily (a half truth since we do want to know where students are
when vandalism, false alarms, and large amounts of time out of class
result).

If you are providing games for study hall, I'd have them check out the
games and go to a specific area of the library or back to study hall to
play.  Do you have displays?  Maybe you could have study hall students sign
up to create and/or assemble bulletin boards or displays for you on a month
by month basis.

This does not really give you many activity ideas, but it does provide a
structure which may make visits from study hall student more acceptable.

***************************

In my school district, study hall by law must be manned by a
certified teacher and students must have assignment given by
the teacher who send them.

***********************

How about setting up a table with a complicated puzzle that
needs to be put together.  One of those with a nice picture.
Students with nothing to do could work on the puzzle.  Once

***********************

 chess is an incredibly popular activity in my library.  We have a few
chess >sets.  You have to put it in a strategic location, and expect that
kibbitzers will

Interesting observation:  When I moved from our middle school library to
our high school library about six years ago, I decided that students should
be allowed to play games (not computer games).  I had cards, chess,
checkers, and triminoes (or whatever that triangular dominoes game is
called).

We had to get rid of cards.  When students played cards (they didn't play
bridge), they always got rowdy and drew a crowd.  Chess was a little better
-- not loud but attracting some crowd.  Chess was quiet with a few
onlookers but no noise!!!

*********************

Do you have a good supply of magazines that students liket to read?
I would also put games on the computers---Free Cell requires good thinking and
logic skills---there are also many like Sim city, sim Farm, etc...and
others of
the same ilk which require critical thinking skills.

********************

found this thread interesting, since I just set out a checkerboard in
our middle school library.  My husband and I had decided that board
games such as checkers are practically a lost art and wanted to promote
old-fashioned forms of entertainment.  I asked the wonderful custodians
in my building to make the library a real wooden checkboard that I could
keep set up all the time.  Those wonderful men created a work of art,
individually inlaid cherry and pine squares, with a wooden frame-type
rim and sealed with gym floor polyurethane.  They even stained wooden
checkers to match.  The kids LOVE it.  It is in use all the time and the
custodians are so proud!  Needless to say, the custodian's office has
homemade cookies in it all the time now, compliments of the librarian.
(My next request will be to the art teacher to see if he will carve us a
Mancala board!)

***********************

We allow our high school study hall students to play several
computer games: Chess, Strategy games of the World, Smart games, and
Dr. Brain (this one has a more Jr. High interface, but my students
don't mind).  They are fairly easy to learn, not expensive, and take
some strategy.  We allow students to use the paint program, as long as
the product is school acceptable. I have a number of impressive trucks
our young men have drawn.  We had one group who enjoyed SimLife, but
that takes more time to figure out and finish. We don't allow computer
cards, mine sweep, pool... even though the line is a fine one as to
what develops better thinking skills.  I never teach anyone how to
play.  They have to read the instructions or find a student who will
help them.  We also let students send and receive email using Hotmail
or other free email.  My students will also read magazines for pleasure
as long as I have what they are interested in: hunting, motor cycles,
trucks, People, Seventeen...
    These activities may sound less than academic, but reading and
thinking does take place.    I don't have many computers, but I have
had 4 or 5 boys stand quietly behind the computer observing others play
and making occasional suggestions.  These are young men who generally
lack patience and common courtesy.  All of these non-academic
activities are a privilege.  Only those who act appropriately may
participate. (I control who stays in the library and who goes back to
study hall.)  Of course, all academic computer use takes precedence and
most students relinquish their computers pleasantly, if needed.
    It works for us.

*********************

I have games in the library(we are a 6-12 school):  chess, checkers,
Pictionary, Scrabble, boggle, chinese checkers, trivia pursuit; these
were all donated/ and acquired over time.  Kids need to return them
neatly to appropriate place; we used to have a lot more use but our
"kids" are very busy with more work because of the new standards

 have this problem as well. Here are my thoughts: Students with
absolutely nothing to do become my workers if I have tasks they can
handle; Crossword  puzzles, chess (either on computer or the real
thing--preferable); give them a magazine, ask them what they like to read
for fun, ask other teachers if they need tasks done and have the "I have
nothing to do" students do that task; give them the newspaper. Just some
thoughts off the top of my head.