>put them to work!  I have kids cover paperbacks with laminate, shelf
>     read, sort magazines & catalogs, type spine labels and pockets, even
>     create displays.

 I often stay in at lunch (for 30 mins or so) to catch up on things. I
have a group of 3-5 current fourth grade girls  who would rather work in
the library than go outside and play. They don't come every day and they
don't all come (in fact I only allow 3 at a time, otherwise too much
socializing goes on). Sort of like an informal library club. Anyway, I
trained them last year on how to prepare the books for circ (I
participate in Scholastic Book Clubs, so those books need processing).
They saw the order come in last week, and came up to me asking if I
needed them. They stamp the library name in the books, and attach
pockets/barcodes and barcode protectors. All I need to worry about is the
spine label and then entering them into the system. When a pre-processed
order comes in (from Follett, Mackin etc). they can check the order
against the invoice, stamp the pockets, take out the catalog cards, etc.
One girl gets excited when I need date due cards stamped! She wants to
stamp through the following month! A few of them also know how to check
books in and out, as well as reshelve FIC. Not sure what I'll do when
they move on to the Middle School.

Suzanne Weinheimer, Librarian
South Mountain Elementary School Library
444 West South Orange Avenue
South Orange, NJ 07079
1-973-378-7848 / FAX: 1-973-564-9633
email: suzanne@whatexit.com