America Dreams
Oct. 13 - Nov. 24, 1998
Grades 4 - 12

Utilizes-
Chat: IRC
Videoconferencing: CU-SeeMe
Building web pages (tools on our server, can link to you or serve your pages)
Mailing list

As we near the beginning of a new Millennium it's time to review lessons
learned from the dreams of Americans past; to relate those lessons to the
realities of America, present; and to envision our hopes for America's
future. This project, created by 1997 Fellows, American Memory Program,
Library of Congress, challenges students to explore the American Dream from
three perspectives. Come dream with us....

As Historian

The initial WebQuest provides a guided investigation of "The American
Dream" which explores what that abstract concept has meant through the
decades of America's past. This phase establishes a knowledge base and an
analytical outlook as students use the digital resources of the American
Memory collections, Library of Congress, for research. It prepares students
to become the historians who will write the story of their own community.
Outcome: Team web exhibits

As Storyteller
Through focused studies that begin with families and expand to include
communities, classrooms across the nation will create community narratives
(" Community Name (eg. San Francisco) - Through our Eyes."). Collectively,
the narratives become a digital gallery, "Portrait of America." which tells
the story of our nation as we enter a new Millennium. Individual dreams of
students, teachers, community members, elected officials and other
participants will be published on "The Wall of Dreams."
Outcomes- Web exhibits: Portrait of America, Wall of Dreams

As Celebrant
The culminating activity is a "Celebration of Americans." In schools across
the nation, students will host community festivals to share their stories
and dreams. Meeting in electronic chat rooms and in video conferences,
local narratives will be shared with other classes and with state and
national officials.

America Dreams will contribute to the building of a collective, 21st
Century Dream for our nation. Come dream with us...

Goals and Highlights:
- students will understand that beliefs and events of the past create the
present
- students will understand that they create the future
- provides a vehicle for students to interact with and learn from their
community
- uses the digital resources of the American Memory Collections, Library of
Congress
- collaborative discussion in weekly chats with other participants
- creates a national digital gallery, Portrait of America, a snapshot of
America at the turn of the Millennium
- builds an archive of the  dreams of our citizens for a positive future,
the "Wall of Dreams"
- supports online participation from staff of the Library of Congress and
elected government officials

Registration is now being accepted

mailto:info-dreams@internet-catalyst.org
http://www.internet-catalyst.org/projects/amproject/splash.html
-
Bonnie Bracey
Teacher in Residence
Randolph Elementary School
1309 S. Quincy Street,
Arlington, Va. 22204

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to