    My parents moved to Ohio from New England right after WW2 when I was
just a toddler. When I was about 5 or 6 we took a road trip to New
Hampshire and Mass. to visit family. My parents loaded up some of their
belongings to bring back with us and my companions in the back seat were
their childhood books! I spent those days driving west lost in my
parents' old Babar books and Albert Payson Terhune! My father took me to
the library each week where I checked out one dog story--Kjelgaard--one
horse story--and two Nancy Drews every week! He also subscribed to a
Landmark Series of books about famous historical events. A new book
arrived each month--I read these over and over--the most memorable being
the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo. My
favorite book when I was in the sixth grade was Sand Dune Pony--don't
remember the author-a young boy and an older gentleman who owned a
matched team of Appaloosas captured some poachers.  A biography of
Marian Anderson was given to me by my mother for Christmas that year. I
remember being horrified that anyone would be treated differently
because of the color of their skin.
    Thanks for this thread. What pleasant memories! I was in the fourth
grade when I realized that my favorite place in all the world was the
public library (my country school did not have one) except for the fact
that I was terrified of the librarian! She definitely fit the old
stereotype of the "shushing" librarian. Had glasses on a chain, but
didn't have a bun!

Jean Tennant, Librarian
Turnagain Elementary School
Anchorage, Alaska