Dear Colleagues:
        I have just received a collection of 31 books and audio tapes by L. Ron
Hubbard. They were donated anonymously on behalf of a student who just
graduated (but who has a younger brother in our school).  I’m trying to
trace the donor through the supplier, Bridge Publications of Los
Angeles. The collection is primarily science fiction; there are also a
few westerns and one bibliography of his works. It seems Mr. Hubbard was
a prolific pulp fiction writer before creating the principles of
dianetics, the foundation of the Church of Scientology.
        SciFi is not my first choice as a genre, and I am unfamiliar with his
writing. I’ve had little success in finding authoritative reviews of his
writing (which I’m heeding as a message). I checked the archives and
will continue to search for critiques of his works and peruse the titles
sent to us. I would appreciate any input from those of you who may be
familiar with his fictional writings. My concerns are whether his works
are of sufficient literary quality to add to our collection, whether his
scientology teachings are present in the works, and whether his name
alone in our catalog would be cause for alarm. Ours is a 7-12 private,
college-prep, Catholic school.
        Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Judith Anderson, Director                      anderj@mneta.net
Library Media Services                         (651) 748-2418
Hill-Murray School                             FAX (651) 748-2466
2625 Larpenteur Ave. E.
St. Paul, MN 55109