I have been reading about the rewards for overdues and wanted to share our
system of rewards.  We operate on a fixed weekly schedule.  If a student or
students forget their books, their class is still eligible for a reward
provided the overdue books are returned to the library before their
regularly scheduled class next week.  This means the student has almost a
week's grace period, but they must make the effort of a special trip to the
library to return their overdue book.  Our rewards are seasonal decorations
the teacher can hang either outside or inside the classroom -- i.e.
footballs, giant pencils, pumpkins, turkeys, apples, etc.  We ask the
teachers return these paper decorations at the end of the semester, so they
can be used again next year.  We also give certificates three times a year
to the classrooms that have better than a 60% record for earning library
book return awards.  The system is pretty low-key, but it encourages
responsibility for our primary level students.

Ona Kassebaum
Washington Elementary School
Sunnyside, WA  98944
kassona@shs.sunnyside.wednet.edu