>>> "Dr. Dana McDougald" <dmcdouga@COE.UGA.EDU> 08/22 9:38 PM >>>
The teachers do not want
students seeing these videos indiscriminately, because then when it is
time to study the topic in class, if students have already seen the video,
the effectiveness is lost.=20

I realize this is a common complaint by teachers, but it is a red herring. =
We have many nonfiction books in our libraries, many on topics studied in =
the various grade levels. We don't tell students they may not read a book =
because they will study that topic later in the year or in a subsequent =
year! We don't tell students that they can't watch a National Geographic =
special at home because we will watch that later in the year in science or =
social studies.=20

Why is it so important that students not learn visually before they are =
taught in the classroom? I would be delighted if there were students in my =
classes who had the experience to share with others in the class. They =
allow development of extension and enrichment activities, and can  be =
excellent peer tutors.

The teachers who are so controlling are stuck in the "sage on the stage" =
model of education. They need to adopt a more constructivist model and let =
students learn when and how they learn best.

Dr. Carol Simpson
Asst. Professor
University of North Texas School of Library & Information Sciences
Denton, TX
csimpson@lis.admin.unt.edu
                                                                           =
                                                                           =