>I am looking for policies and ideas for management of 12 Internet
>stations in my high school.

Dear Netters and Vonna -
I can't take the credit for this system, but when I substitute for the
current librarians who use it in our district, I'm really impressed,
because it makes it easy for me to keep track, even in schools where I
don't know the students.

Each student who has filed an AUP has the right to use the Internet
stations. In one school the librarian issued a separate "Internet
Driver's Licence"; in another school the librarian did not do so, and
relies on a printed list and/or memory as to which students have filed
AUPs. (Less helpful for the substitute, obviously.)

In one school the "map" is laid out on the circ desk (not so great when
you have a lot of business going one there); the other school keeps the
user information (see below for description) in a box in a drawer.

Each Internet station is numbered (rather than, in the second school; in
addition to, in the first) instead of named -- either would work. Each
station has two laminated cards (first school) of colored stock (two
different colors) or one card (second school) -- with name/number of
station printed on the card.

Student must present ID card/I'net driver's licence, which is
paper-clipped to the card with the station name/number and placed in the
"box" on the "map" on the desktop (first school) or filed behind a
divider marked with the station name/number in a box in the drawer
(second school).

Student is given the laminated card to attach to the top of the monitor
(Velcro dot, plastic card holder, whatever) to show that the student at
that monitor has authorization to use it.

Student returns the card and retrieves the ID card when finished.

To summarize:

Location of cards:  "map" on circ desk    vs      box in drawer of circ
desk
Laminated cards:    two (diff. colors)    vs      one   [bright colors
preferred]
Authorization card: Internet driver's lic. vs     student ID
Laminated card placement:  on monitor (in both schools)

Hope this helps.

Joyce Conklin       jconkli@smcoe.k12.ca.us
San Mateo Union High School District librarian (ret.)
KidsConnect Volunteer
San Mateo, CA
Mac 8600/OS 8.0 Netscape 4.6.1(128 bit)/Claris Emailer