I do not teach high school, but have high achieving Middle School age
students who use the linear presentation tool called Slide Show that is a
part of AppleWorks.  They also learn and use HyperStudio for both linear and
non-linear projects.  If I were only to teach one, I would go with
HyperStudio for the flexibility that a non-linear capable tool can offer.
The linear presentation is very limiting when you have experienced the
freedom that the other offers.  I gave an assignment to a class to make a
linear presentation with their choice of authoring tools, and they still all
chose HyperStudio

I have no experiece directly with Power Point, but feel that the students
need to know more of what the tools are capable of doing than any one
particular applicaiton. Just because Power Point is often used by businesses
does not make it any better (or worse) than any other application.
Designing and producing a HyperStudio stack gives students experience with
logic and planning that a linear product cannot offer.
--
Gail Smith, Cybrarian
Edison Regional Gifted Center, Chicago