Hello,

I have just purchased the first two Harry Potter books for my grandsons
on the strength of the discussions that I have read on LM_NET.  The
oldest grandson is not crazy about reading (he reads for information,
but not for pleasure), so I thought the Harry Potter books sound like
they would get him hooked.  However, I haven't mailed them yet because I
have some qualms.  My d-in-law is pretty conservative and has objected
to anything having to do with witches, etc.  Her boys (my grandsons) do
not wear Halloween costumes that are "witchy" or "satanic" in nature.
Now that I've had a chance to think about it, I'm kind of worried about
sending the books on.

My question:  Has anyone had any objections to the theme of witchcraft
that runs through the books from their ultra-conservative parents?  Of
course, *I* know they are fiction and are supposed to be entertaining;
but having lived in a conservative community all of my life, I can see
how some parents might have a problem with young children having these
books read to them.  I've read all of the reviews on amazon.com, and all
were *very* complimentary.

Thanks!
Betty
--
Betty Dawn Hamilton, LRS * mailto:bhamilt@worldnet.att.net
Historian, Terry County Historical Commission