Regarding Betty Hamilton's post concerning possible objections to the Harry
Potter books: Thanks, Betty--I wondered when someone would bring up this
question of Christian reaction to these books.
Question (target): How do you who are librarians at Christian schools feel
about these books?  Some months ago when I first began reading ...The
Sorcerer's Stone, I did not get far into the book before I began to make
the decision not to purchase this book for my library.  However there has
been so much positive comment on this listserv that I am rereading the
titles.  It is difficult to justify not selecting titles which so many of
you love.
I am a Christian working in a highly Christianized community, but I have
never had a challenge of any type from the parents here.  I do try to
strike a balance between my belief in freedom to read and my own and my
community's sensitivities. I would certainly never suggest this as a
read-aloud in my school system.
I'm interested in others' thoughts on this matter.

Shereen West, Librarian
Siloam Springs, Arkansas, Middle School
wests@pride.nwsc.k12.ar.us

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." Goethe