Dear Catherine Beyers:

method that was suggested to me by my department head.  I find it works
well.

While doing research papers in grade nine and eleven English I require the
students to follow a schedule.  Each of the following items is discussed
/taught in class. Time is than given to do the work at home. Then the work
is collected, marked and returned.

The whole research process must be handed in along with all rough copies,
any photocopies that were made, and two good copies.  I grade one good copy
and the other is held in a department archive.

The schedule of assignments is as follows:

        *Brainstorming
        *Topic selection (includes conference with teacher concerning
primary and secondary sources)
        *Bibliography Cards
        *Research Cards (primary, seconday, personal)
        *Tentative Thesis
        *Outline (this should reflect the grouping of research cards)
        *Introductory Paragraph
        *Rough copy to be editied in class by at least two peers

When the whole research package is handed in I can see the work that has
gone into the essay.  I have found that students who were lacking in the
process, were "borrowing" more than they should.

I hope this suits your needs.

Have a great day!

Sincerely

Shelley Burgstaller

--o00o--;)
Shelley Burgstaller, Teacher Librarian
American International School, Salzburg Austria
sburgst@ais.salzburg.at