This is a really old HIT, for items/information that  librarians would
like to see on an authors (personal) webpage.
As a High School Librarian, I would like info/links to bios and
criticisms.

activities connecting the book with the curriculum; a schedule of
appearances, a book list, etc.

Contact info: I think a must would be- how to contact them -
some sort of an address for snail mail.  It doesn't have to be their
home but it would save alot of time if they but their publishers
contact address.

Size of audience preferred:  class size, large group, maximum size (how
large would person be willing to present to??  I often have 100-300
students at a time in a large auditorium or theater setting)

Contact person and phone and/or fax number

Grade levels preferred

Length of presentation for 1-3 vs. 4-6, etc.

Equipment needed for presentations

Honorarium

State/region interested in going to for presentations

Flexibility in length of stay and or distance traveled (1-2 days, 3-5
days, etc.)

Names of contact people in places where person has done presentations
during last 12-24 months for purposes of contacting to see what worked
well and/or how best to prepare students for this author's visit

activities that have copyright permission

biographical information that is exciting for students--childhood likes,

Addresses are important if the author
will respond to letters (or just a statement if they will/will not
respond).

Short note about what they are doing now.

email address so kids could write to the author.

How about a writing activity?  Maybe the kids could start a story and the
author go on with it, then other kids add to it, the author adds, more
kids
add, etc.

Some current biographical information would be good and pictures of
pets, homes or writing studio, family, or kids.

autobiographical connections to the book

All the books author has written (with publication info and ISBNs) + a
little "blurb" about each + perhaps
annotation from the author about each book---that is motivation for
writing,
etc...

Perhaps a 'book talk" for the librarian promoting the book to readers to
print off and use......

For younger children, activities to go with the book....
Perhaps like the Martha Stewart website, the actual pattern to make
something.....supplies needed, etc.'

a recent picture and a short biography of interest to the readers of the
author

 Perhaps a guest book where teachers could also contribute ideas to
share about how the authors' books are used around the
schools/country/world

I like to see who did the page, on what date was it created or changed,
and
if the information is factual or made up.

 a "text only" option is great in all cases for when the computer is
being slow at loading all those great graphics.

I would love to see bookmarks we can print out that have some author info
on them with the web page address.

I think most students enjoy finding out about the author's childhood - how
was he/she alike or different from themselves.  Also, knowing why the
author
writes or how he/she gets his ideas is good, too.

-----------------------
Comments re: www.janbrett.com

I love Jan Brett's bookmarks.  I realize that she is an illustrator, but
anything that a librarian can print off to feature the author and put in
the
students hands is wonderful.  Perhaps their picture that can be copied
something else of that nature.

One of the best web sites I've ever seen is Jan Brett's.  She has
activities,
audio for the kids to hear and lots of graphics.  I used her as my author
of
the month and did "The Hat" using her suggestion as a play (with her
downloadable, if there is such a term ;-)... masks) for our morning
program
and it was the biggest hit of the year!  Take a look at her site.  Also,
she
corresponds quickly and with a wonderful packet if you write to her.

 Great examples include: www.janbrett.com, www.eric-carle.com   and
www.patriciapolacco.com

Suzanne Weinheimer, Librarian
South Mountain Elementary School Library
444 West South Orange Avenue
South Orange, NJ 07079
1-973-378-7848 / FAX: 1-973-564-9633
email: suzanne@whatexit.com