Much neglected are picture books in the Middle School and High School
libraries, partly, I think, from the publisher's targeting the elementary
school and partly from our belief that the students and teachers will
automatically ignore them.

Find a poem on "nature" and write a commentary assigned to a whole class
(or more) can pose quite a challenge with the Big Book concept we have in
ms/hs libraries.  (I've often thought that I would love to publish a series
of books for young adults, collections of poetry, biographies, history, and
so on, which more truly reflects the assignments of teachers.  I'd buy up
the interiors of any discards of 300 pages or more you people have, insert
a poem on nature in the middle and, of course, put in both a fake index and
fake title page and rebind with some jazzy title, like "Nature Poem")

The alternative, to provide some of the many rich picture books that I so
envy the elementary librarian to my clients.

Poetry, especially, works well with the students and teachers, when they
realize that their objective are being met, come to appreciate that their
students are being "turned on" to poetry AND are completing their assignments.

A wise professor once told me that we can teach anything, as long as we
teach with enthusiasm and honesty.  Presenting picture books to young
adults, even with a "just humor me this time" approach does work and, by
the way, creates a demand for many more titles.

Earl
Earl Sande
Secondary School Librarian
International School of Tanganyika