Here are reading themes that were suggested to me and some that I have used
in the past.  Thanks to everyone who sent ideas.  Sorry it took so long to
compile the hit but we are busy finishing up our conversion to automation.

"A Hero is More than a Sandwich" (biography)
"Soar with Science Books" (use hot air balloons, rockets, etc.)
"Tackle a Good Book"  (football - sports)

This year I used "Read-It!, Read-It!" and decorated with frogs.  Next year i
plan to use "Keeping the Beat with Books" and decorate with a juke box,
records, CD's, tapes, musical notes and instruments.  Last year it was
S.O.A.R. (Stop Open And Read) and I use hot air balloons.

We did our themes by months-February is for Book Lovers, March Madness, etc.
We are combining April and May and are going to take students who pass five
tests to our local state park, Ravine Gardens so we are looking for Ravenous
Ravine Readers.

I have used GET A LIFE with AR biographies, food (forget what I called
that one--SOUP IT UP, maybe--the PTA donated little microwave soups for
prizes and it drove the noon ladies nuts) where we used books like
CHOCOLATE COVERED ANTS, HOW TO EAT FRIED WORMS, etc., all non-fiction
and, most recently, sports AR--EXERCISE YOUR MIND.

I get most of my reading theme ideas from the Demco catalog.  They have a
different theme on each poster or bookmark they sell.  For example:  There's
snow better time to read!  Fall into a good book, etc.  Check it out!

Judy, successful themes I have done are:  Pig Out On A Good Book, Teddy Bears
(Cuddle Up With A Good Book could be the theme...we had a teddy bear contest
and had over 170 teddy bears brought in!), Have A Pow Wow With Books/Reading
(Native American Theme), Welcome to Camp Library (end of the year, have a
pop-up tent in the library and give out tent passes for students to come and
read in the tent), also Dr. Seuss theme, Dragon Themes, Drop Into The Jungle
and Read (we had the library decorated with streamers woven into vines, a
mini-parachute hanging over our sofa area, and jungle animals), Butterfly To
The Library In a Hurry (butterfly theme)

We do a theme per year--we are a k-5 school--1st grade does not really
participate much until the 2nd semester--this year we did "Book A Trip Around
The World".  I saw the theme idea in a catalog.  We put up the 7 continents
in our lunchroom and assigned points to each

I used "Reach For The Stars - Read" as  an all school theme this
year. I displayed stars for perfect scores and hands  reaching for the
stars for other scores.  The entrance to our school had  the letters
displayed above an arched opening with stars on the ceiling.   The student
hands and stars line the hallways.  We are a small school but  have almost
circled the halls twice.  Students, parents, and administration  like the
visual display. Hope this helps.  I give "make your own ice  cream sundae
parties" for students who meet goals.  I supply ice cream  and every type
of topping I can afford at the time.  Students get to pile  it on.  They
love it.

Be a Legendary Reader--Myths and Legends

Get Real with Nonfiction--Nonfiction

Take a Journey--Read a Book--Books dealing with a journey (Gulliver,
Homecoming,etc.)

One poster I own is "Dive into a Good Book.", tangentially related.  A
source I use for bulletin board slogans is the Upstart catalog.

Roar Into Reading - dinosaur theme
Thrills and Chills at the Library - monsters, bats, witches (Oct.)
Million Dollar Readers - money theme
Warm Up With a Good Book - penguins
Top Dog Reader - Dog theme
We Love To Read - hearts for I love to read month
Buggy for Books - we build a balloon worm adding a balloon for each point
or book read
Reading is a Treasure for Life - pirate theme
Reading is a Kick - football theme
Nutty for Books - acorns and squirrels
Rock 'N Read - music notes
Jump into Reading - Frogs
Hang Out With Reading - monkeys
Wriggle into Reading - worm or snake
Score Big with Reading - score board or money
Get hooked on books - fishing
Reading is a piece of Cake - baking
Get Egg-cited with books - color eggs
Dive into a Good Book - swimming
Reach the stars with reading - space or astronomy

Judy Schue
Oklee Public School
Oklee, MN   56742
libraryo@means.net