Thanks to all the librarian/gourmands out there who contributed to this
hit.  Hope it hits the spot this summer during our rare moments when we
can read for pleasure!

*  *    Robie Martin
  ^        Librarian, Parsons Middle School
\__/    2719 Main * 316-421-4190
         Parsons, KS 67357
robiem@vikingnet.net

++Work like you don't need the money++ Love like you've never been
hurt++ Dance like nobody's watching++

==========

Have you read any of Diane Mott Davidson's mysteries? Her "detective" is
caterer, and she includes the recipes for her dishes (which are quite
good!)

=============

You've already included Esquivel's _Like water for chocolate_ in your
list of food-related fiction, right?

==================

You're probably already familiar with the works of Diane Mott Davidson,
which are mysteries with a heavy "food" emphasis since the amateur
detective in them is a caterer.  She lives in the foothills west of
Denver so is quite popular around here.
Surely you've already enjoyed "Like Water for Chocolate" also.

=================

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe detective novels do this.  I even have a Nero
Wolfe
cookbook that has the recipes from the books.

===========

Have you tried Isaac Asimov's _Tales of the Black Widowers_ and _More
Tales
of the Black Widowers_? Both books are a series of stories set in a
fictional fancy New York restaurant. Although you can read them in
either
order, it is best to take them in the original order, as you meet all
the
characters in the very first story, and there are some details there
that
you really need to know to enjoy the rest of the stories. Excellent
mysteries

==============

Like Water for Chocolate
Babette's Feast

===============

I'm sure you must have already read Like Water for Chocolate.  Here's
one
you might have missed:  The Honk and Holler Opening Soon, by Billie
Letts.
The Honk and Holler is a drive-in restaurant that has outlived its
heyday
(freeway/progress).  The folks who work there, eat there and somehow end
up
there compliment each other wonderfully.  The cast of memorable
characters
made me wish the book would never end.

=========

Sunshine Rider: The First Vegetarian Western by Ric Lynden Hardman
It's a young adult novel, but very funny. It's about a young man on his
first cattle drive, the first recipe is enough to make anyone a
vegetarian. There are recipes scattered throughoutt the book.

=======

I'm sure you're familiar with the Diane Mott Davidson
series..._The Grilling Season_ etc...; but one that had me
salivating all the way through was _The Butter Did It_ by Phyliss
Richman, a first-novel mystery about a food critic in Washington
D.C.  (HarperPaperback, June 1998).  Wait until you read about her
chocolate-hazelnut calzones...Aaaah...and she gives the recipe too!

=============

Try Dianne Mott Davidson

=============

Diane Mott Davidson writes mysteries that center around food.  Her
sleuth is caterer Goldy Schultz.  Her books include _The Grilling
Season_, _Catering for Nobody_, _Dying for Chocolate_, _The Cereal
Murders_, _The Last Suppers_, _Killer Pancake_, and _The Main Corpse_.
I've listened to one as an audiobook, but can't remember the title, and
plan to read the Grilling Season this summer.
Hope this is what you were looking for.

========

Diane Mott Davidson's mystery series.  Goldie the Caterer mixes murder
into job and the recipes are included.

=======

In the UK, there is a series of novels about a gourmet called (I think)
'Monsieur Pamplemouse' - they are by Michael Bond (who also wrote the
'Paddington Bear' books for children). The character is French and I
can't
remember whether he's actually a policeman, or whether he just gets
caught
up in detective drama along the way. He's a sort of 'undercover agent'
for
something like the Michelin food guide, too, as well as having a
faithful
hound who goes everywhere with him.

They're quite fun, and good light reading, if a little repetitive after
you've read the first couple of books.

Hope you get some more good suggestions. Enjoy the summer, and the
reading
(and the food, too!!)

=====

Here are some books (mostly mysteries) that feature food:

The following four feature the same characters although by 2 authors:

The Cooking School Murders by Virginia Rich
The Baked Bean Supper Murders by Virginia Rich
The Nantucket Diet Murders by Virginia Rich
The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders by Nancy Pickard

The McNally books feature a gourmand. He lives in Palm Beach, has a
wonderful live-in cook and likes to wine and dine the ladies at various
restaurants:

McNally's Luck by Laurence Sanders
McNally's Secret
McNally's Risk
McNally's Caper
McNally's Trial
McNally's Puzzle
McNally's Gamble

This book features a gourmand and is by the author of the Paddington
books.
I've read only this one but there are others:

Monsieur Pamplemousse Takes the Cure by Michael Bond

Jan Karon's books feature a diabetic priest whose parishioners are
always
plying him with wonderful desserts:

At Home in Mitford
A Light in the Window
These High Green Hills
Out to Canaan
A New Song

Hope you find some good ones!

=============

How about Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl. The subtitle of the book is

growing up at the table. Each chapter has a recipe. The story is a
wonderful
coming of age book by NY Times food critic.

====

Have you read the Diane Mott Davidson mysteries?  Her protangonist
(Goldie
Bear) is a caterer and the recipes given in the book are great.

=====

Most of the Spenser novels by Robert Parker have a recipe or two in
them.

===

I was recently in my public library and they had a display of lots of
food-related books.  I picked up a mystery by Diane Mott Davidson called

"The Grilling Season" which was very good.  It even featured some
recipes.
There is also a series that features Pennsylvania Dutch cooking, but I
do
not remember the name of a book or author.  Did you already know about
Davidson?  At a very stressful time of year, it's just right.

======

I am reading a mystery by Diane Mott Davidson called The Grilling
Season.  It
is part of a series about a caterer/sleuth called Goldie. In this book
Goldie
is catering a hockey party, and the menu is listed in the beginning with

recipes scattered throughout the book. The story is pretty good too.
There
are about 8 books in the series. I know one is called Prime Cut.
Another has
chocolate  :o)   in the title.  I plan to look for more of these books.
I am
enjoying this one. It's not heavy duty, just right for a summer read.

==============

Try Diane Mott Davidson: Grilling Season, etc.   several mystery books
with
food/gourmet slant.

=======

Diana Mott Davidson - All titles relate to food, i.e. The Last Supper.
I've read them all and tried some recipes.  They are good.

========

Have you red the Davidson books?  Dying for chocolate,
killer pancakes, etc?

=======

Here are some more author suggestions, courtesy of a library staffer who

reads mysteries and says these include food:
Tamar Meyers
Lou Jane Temple
Nancy Pickard
Joann Pense