Hi,
  A couple of weeks ago, I asked if anyone had some great websites for
summer "travel" and mentioned that I had seen an article containing what I
was thinking of.   Someone let me know that it was in the May SLJ and, of
course, it was.  I had checked previous months because I hadn't thought I'd
read it that recently (a mind is a terrible thing to lose, isn't it).  One
person sent me a list that I did not have a chance to check out that was
mostly author and book sites which I will use at a later date.  What I had
in mind was sites parents could go to to either  help prepare their kids
for places they were going to visit or for "armchair" travelling.  The SLJ
article was just the sort of thing I was looking for and so I used it.  I
also included some travel-type books.  The only thing I wish I had done
differently was to have done it earlier so the kids could check out some of
the books before we stopped checking out.  Oh well, next year.  Instead I
recommended they check the public library and book stores.
Most of the responses I got were requests for a hit.  Other than the SLJ
article and the list of author/book sites, I received no other websites.
Next year I will plan farther ahead and check out some "city" or "state"
sites as well.

Following is what I put in our newsletter :

SUMMER TRAVELS :  Taking a trip this summer or staying home, use the
following books and websites to prepare your children or let them take a
"virtual" vacation.
BOOKS :There are several "series" books for children about various
destinations in the U.S. and abroad.  John Muir Publications has the
"Kidding Around...." series, travel guides for children.  Dillon Press has
"Downtown America" that lists places to visit in each of the cities in the
series.  Childrens Press's "Cities of the World" has books on U.S. and
international locations.  Check the library and bookstores.
WEBSITES :  Exploratorium (San Francisco) : http://www.exploratorium.edu ;
Science Learning Network : http://www.sln.org; Franklin Institute Science
Museum (Philadelphia) : http://www.sln.fi.edu; Museum of Science and
Industry (Chicago) : http://www.msichicago.org; National Air and Space