If you are a middle school or high school librarian and if you are in NYC
or plan to be in the near future, you might want to make it down to the
downtown Strand bookstore, aka The Stand Book Annex (the one at 95 Fulton
Street in lower Manhattan, NOT the store on 12th Street).  I was there
yesterday and was
pleased to find a very large collection of hardcover YA novels (and some YA
non fiction) for $1.00 each.
        The books are located in the $1.00 book section, on the back wall. Most of
the books are older titles (titles which have been since published in
paperback). I can't remember all the titles I bought (I had them send them
to the school), but they included:
Sabriel by Nix
Hello I Lied by M.E. Kerr
Who Killed Mr. Chippendale? (the book in verse)
Buried Alive (poetry book)
Susan Kuklin's After the Suicide (non-fiction; students talking about
friends' or family members' suicides, and how it affected them)
Susan Kuklin's Irrepressible Spirit: Conversations with Human Rights
activists, a wonderful collection which gets a lot of use in my school
(there's a great chapter with a woman from Rwanda who discusses the
background to understanding what happened there; one with a student from
Tianammen Square, etc).

There was also a Meet the Author (Naylor); a critical companion book on
Jack London; a good YA history of John Brown.

There were also a bunch of books I didn't buy because they were for younger
students (e.g., Sticks by Joan Bauer).

Also found at Strand, but not in that section:
The Shared Heart: (a NYPL Books for the Teenage book --"young gay lives in
words and photos) for $2.50 (yes, in hardcover!!)  This is located in the
children's section, which is behind the art section.  There's a pile by the
Fulton Street window.

The Amazing True STory of a Teenage Mom by Katherine Arnoldi (on the
ALA/YALSA Best Books for YAs 1999 and  NYPL Books for the Teenage lists) --
a graphic novel that's a big hit! Originally around $17.00, Strand has a
couple of copies left (I bought 3-4) on a low table in the front of the
store for only $6.00.

If you've never been to the Strand downtown, you can get there easily by
taking the 2,3,4 or 5 train to Fulton Street.  Walk down Fulton (away from
Broadway and the Trade Center). It's right past William Street, on the
north side of Fulton.

Rena Deutsch, Librarian
High School for the Humanities
New York, NY