Hi all,

Due to popular request I am posting a hit of responses to my question of
mounting a fake or non-functioning video camera to control behaviour.
Several of you responded to the list, so I am going to be merciful to
everyone's mail load and not include them, but I do thank you for all for
responding.  Of all, I sort of like the idea of mounting one of those dark
gray plastic bubbles on the ceiling and let them wonder of there's a camera
in it.

Da Hit Starts Here:

I've never tried it in my library, but a year or so ago, the technology
teacher tried it in the wood shop.  The camera was positioned so that
students couldn't really tell if it was recording (red light on or off) and
behavior did improve.
------------
I have to admit, a few years ago when we had an especially "wild" bunch of
8th grade boys, I did place the video camera in their favorite section and
left it there for the day. It wasn't running, but they weren't sure about
that, and after about 5 minutes during which they appeared quite
uncomfortable, they returned to their study hall and we (the staff) all had a
good laugh.  The next day, they asked me about it, and I admitted that it was
a joke, which led to a fruitful discussion on why I would resort to such a
ruse.  It was a good teachable moment, and they did modify their behavior for
a time, usually with smiles and exaggerated whisperings about the video
camera returning.  The point is, they got the message and appreciated that I
fooled them.  A sence of humor can sometimes go a long way, as you know.
---------------
I've already decided that next time I have to baby-sit a class for a
teacher with no sub, I'm turning on the QuickCam to record all the
"doings"! They can see it for themselves on the TV monitor, and I will
have a record for the teacher who was absent!!! Hope it works!!!
----------------
 We have gone both ways...we have tried dummy cameras and the real thing.
   What you will find is that the kids will gradually test the system...and
it will not, I promise you, take long to find out that the camera is a fake
one.  There are some very smart kids out there and some very devious ones,
they will soon discover the cameras are bogus.  The real thing works great,
it has cut down on our schools problems and the kids are so very aware that
they are there.  There is yet a third alternative.  There are some pretty
inexpensive cameras that hook into a PC and do the same thing, they cost
around $100 dollars...
  Hope this was of some help, bottom line is that fake cameras are soon
discovered...
-----------------
I had the maintenance department mount a broken camera in the back of the
Media Center.  For most students, it works.  Some are too smart and say
"there is no red light on this camera."  I don't say anything.
------------------
I mounted a REAL camera, plugged in and everything, I just didn't turn it
on.  I pretended to, and when they asked why the red light didn't come on, I
said it was broken.
   The next class, I made sure there was not tape in it and then I really
did turn it on , little red light and all.  Boy what a difference!!  The one
child that had been lying to his parents about what the other were saying to
him in school stopped lying to his parents and even improved in his overall
behavior in the library.  Ahhhh the effects of mild deception!!!!
-----------------
I've done it before.  And yes, it helps.
-----------------
Why not use an older model of a real video camera.  Some models of them
will record six hours at a time.
-----------------
Many years ago (over 10) I was taping for our principal's retirement
from my former school. I thought it would be a hoot to tape a certain
class (without their knowledge) and show it back to them. They did not
know that they were being taped and I really don't remember their
reaction except to laugh at themselves. As I write this, I wonder if I
should have secured parental permission. HM?
-----------------
Dawn; we didn't have one in the library but one of our foreign language
teachers tried it in her classroom; at first the kids didn't even notice;
then they really thought it was running.  She only did it for about a week.

Our Dean of students got one kid to confess to something he did using a
supposed tape; he knew the kid was writing on the bathroom walls but
couldn't catch him in the act.  He called the kid into the office and
confronted him; the kid denied doing it until the Dean of students took a
video tape out of his drawer and said "Maybe we should have your parents
look at this."  The kid confessed!  Of course this was middle school and
they can be more gullible.  But after that the kid went to our Dean of
students and said he thought he knew where the video camera was hidden.

The bogus camera would probably only last so long till someone challenged
you to look at it; also can you legally do that; "taping" without parental
permission.?
-----------------
I'm new to this list and am a former middle school reading teacher, studying
to be a school librarian.
I wanted to mount a video camera in my classroom for this purpose and was
told it is illegal in the state of Texas.  It is considered an invasion of
privacy.

Dawn Sardes
YA Librarian
Euclid Public Library