Kay, what sort of 'correction' did you get? Did the person give you a
citation or website?

From a history of the Thompson Submachine Gun (aka Tommy
Gun) <http://www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/>

    "While Auto Ordnance Corp. was selling the TSMG on the open
    market in the 1920’s, it was uncomfortably aware of what
    it’s guns could do if placed in the wrong hands. It relied
    on its dealers to restrict sales based on an agreement that
    stated “Thompson Guns are for use by those on the side of
    law and order, and the Auto-Ordnance Corporation agents and
    dealers are authorized to make sales to responsible parties
    only.” Unfortunately not all of its dealers would abide by
    this agreement." .........

It would seem to me that if the Thompson was sold on the open
market, gangsters wouldn't need "Army surplus".  According to the
website, the first public demonstration of the gun was in August
1920.

I think you can stand by your posting.  I  would trust the
information in a book published by Facts on File.

Dan Robinson
Indexing Services
H.W. Wilson Company
Bronx, NY