From: mms <mschimmels@KSCABLE.COM>
Subject: Re: YIPES! Not-so-safe-search engines

> A list member has informed me that some of the search engines I posted are
> NOT safe--she tested them with the word "sex" and porn sites came up.

I would think that "safe" search engines do not work exactly as a filter
would on a server. They are not meant to replace a filter, but to provide
safer searching than would be possible using a conventional search engine.
Realistically, there are no guarantees on the internet. I have used
ProFusionKids for the last two weeks, but supervising students' research on
Black Americans, Himalayan Persian cats, and Thomas Edison, among other
topics. With conventional search engines, even these unsuspecting topics
might yield some bizarre results. The cautionary tale here is supervision,
knowing what the student's question is, and helping the student form a
research topic in keyword form. At least when we use ProFusionKids I haven't
had the misfortune of coming across any porn sites using these student's
benign research topics.

ProFusionKids is a metasearch engine which allows the user to use among six
other "safe" search engines. The user can configure the search as he/she
wishes. I searched "sex" under ProFusionKids and MiKids. MiKids is also a
metasearch engine of "safe" engines, but the difference between the two is
vast. MiKids yielded many more porn sites than did ProFusionKids, probably
because it searches SuperKids and SurfMonkey, which PFK does not. MiKids
also does not allow the user to choose which engines to search. I would
think the culprits are SuperKids and/or SurfMonkey.

The moral? If you don't have an ironclad filter on your server, then a
"safe" search engine with your students is an acceptable solution, but
whichever you choose, always supervise student's research. But given my
student's topics, and using ProfusionKids, I have had no encounters of the
porno kind! I can't say that using conventional search engines.

Meg Schimmels, LMS
Funston Elementary
Wichita (KS) Public Schools
MSchimmels@kscable.com