I've used both flexible and scheduling and discovered a number of things :

1.  library use and circulation soars when flexible scheduling is in place.
 Why?  I've asked many who have experienced it (often with the same
reservations that Lyn faces).  Providing everyone with the freedom to use
the resources and services is an appealing concept, much like making free
choices to go to a store, use the public library, etc.  As such, it
empowers the user.

2.  resistance to flexible use seems to be based on a couple of assumptions
:  one, the administrator wants to be sure that the library staff is
actually "working" and not simply sitting around doing nothing  ; two, when
a teacher does not have to accompany his/her class to the library, it
becomes a "time off" period for them (often used for planning, marking,
photocopying, etc., so I guess the term should probably be "preparation
period", though I'm sure many of us see the teacher using it for something
else).  When administration builds that into the timetable, it becomes
almost a right that is difficult to change.

However, I have faced a number of teachers who want to bring their class to
the library WHEN IT IS NEEDED (strike while the iron's hot!) and who found
that a scheduled library deters this experience.

At the school I am currently in, the library is totally scheduled and, with
only 15 minutes to "do" something with the children, it becomes more of a
chance for the students to exchange their materials, rather than a really
great educational experience.

But, be forewarned, a successful flexible program generates a tremendous
amount of enthusiasm and workload, more than a scheduled one (I think),
because it is so successful.

Make sure before changing that you think clearly on how you will handle it.

Earl

Earl P Sande
Elementary School Librarian
Director of Library Services