Thanks to everyone who shared ideas for a class on teaching web site
evaluation to parents. A  number of people requested a summary, so
attached are all the messages I've received to date (from NETTRAIN,
EDNET and LM_NET).

Some of the sites will help illustrate web site evaluation criteria -
(some good funny bogus sites!) Others will help parents learn more
about Internet use by kids and online safety.

I'll be updating my own evaluation page in a few weeks to reflect many of
these sites. (www.albany.net/~paf/evaluating.htm)

Again thanks so very much for the generous help!

Polly-Alida Farrington (paf@albany.net)

I'm not sure about the kids, but give the parents this one...
http://members.aol.com/okawp/
Michael Sauers
There is a site that someone posted recently: http://bensguide.gpo.gov/
Ben's Guide to U.S. Government for kids.
I also like KidsClick:http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/KidsClick!/
and Bonus www.bonus.com
For safety: http://www.childrenspartnership.org/
although there are other good sites as well.
Patricia Husband
I belong to an organization called DC Web Women and we hold an event every
year modeled after the Ms. Foundation's Take Our Daughters to Work Day.  The
DCWW Take our Kids to the Internet is usually held in April and teaches
parents safe-surfing and kids simple web site design.  Take a look at
http://www.dcwebwomen.org/happening/tod/ for more info.  We are developing a
packet of information on how to do it -- it may be finished by now.  Let me
know if you need more information.
Beth Archibald Tang
http://www.yellodyno.com
Diane K. Kovacs
I have become a great believer in finding a
good directory that can lead students/parents to good
sites, rather than open-ended web searching.  I highly
recommend the homework page at Multnomah  Public
Library in Oregon.
www.multnomah.lib.or.us/lib/homework
Gail Hall
There are two sites I can recommend.  One is on our website in Takoma Park,
Md: http://cityoftakomapark.org/library/eval.html
The other is just a very fun site with lots of ideas..especially look at
the one for "boring teachers' stuff" and "stuff for boring teachers.":
http://www.pilkey.com/
Tina Hudak
LION, an information resource for K-12 school librarians
http://www.libertynet.org/lion/lion.html
All Together Now (ATN) provides Internet-based site catalogs and other
educational resources in support of young scholars and their mentors
worldwide.
http://www.alltogethernow.org/
Sandy Colby, MLIS
I have used the Spam home page.  There are two that I found.  I don't have
the exact addresses at hand but you should be able to do a simple Yahoo
search to find them.  One is the official Spam page by Hormel and the other
is an unofficial page by someone using the web name Polly Esther Fabrique.
These are good examples to use when presenting the idea that users should
check the source/authority.
Pati Jo Daisy
(Official SPAM Home Page http://www.spam.com/
Amazing SPAM Home Page  http://www.cusd.claremont.edu/~mrosenbl/spam.html)
give this web site a try
http://www.studyweb.com/links/655.html
Elizabeth Coffey
I use the following web site to evaluate websites my students have developed:
http://www.siec.k12.in.us/~west/online/eval.htm
This web site has evaluation forms that are geared toward each level of
student.
Tammy Payton is the website developer, and I think she's done a great job.
Joseph A. Braun, Jr. had devloped a more detailed system of evaluating Social
Studies websites, which you can find at
http://www.coe.ilstu.edu/jabraun/braun/professional/wwwrubric.html
This is also an excellent tool for evaluating academic sites. I am sure it
could be extrapolated to non-social studies content as well.
George Cassutto
The AASL Web site Families Connect, that is part of ICONnect, might be
useful for you.  There are Web sites referenced and information for parents
to help them evaluate Web sites for their children.  Check out
http://www.ala.org/ICONN/familiesconnect.html
Marjorie L. Pappas
http://www.ala.org/parentspage/greatsites/amazing.html
Saranne Gans
Attached is my webpage on evaluating web sites. You are welcome to use
the file itself or to use it online at
http://www.splendora.k12.tx.us/sms/lib/eval.htm
Melissa Davis
You might want to try www.cyberangels.org
Mimi Rupp
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children:
http://www.missingkids.org/
FBI Internet Safety Tips for Kids:
http://www.fbi.gov/kids/crimepre/internet/internet.htm
Yahooligans! (kid-safe version of Yahoo!): http://www.yahooligans.com/
America Links Up!  http://www.netparents.org/
I also came across the bibliography page that might be useful, though
some of the links are outdated:
http://www.cjnetworks.com/~ktbear/wanamake/Biblio.html
Brian Pomeroy
I have a presentation that I use with area teachers.  It's found
at: http://142.22.38.242/WEB_PAGES/Web_Eval_TL/Slide01.htm
It contains examples of false or inaccurate Web Sites.
John Goldsmith
Try this site, I found lots of information there:
http://www.mindspring.com/~klv/eval.html - I used the information in a paper
on webvsite evaluation and will be using a bogus site they have listed in a
lesson this week. (archived copy of this site is available at Google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.mindspring.com/~klv/eval.html)
Nancy Clark
----
Polly-Alida Farrington                 phone:  518-371-6860
PA Farrington Associates               e-mail: paf@albany.net
Internet Training and Consulting       WWW:    http://www.albany.net/~paf
516 Mohawk Terrace
Halfmoon, NY  12065