Couldn't resist replying too...

We've had three bizarre lost/damaged book stories.  First was the one where
the first grader was reading his in the car on the way to school one
morning...and "lost his breakfast" in the book.  Guess Stellaluna must have
really excited him.

Second was a little 1st or 2nd grade girl who I just could not get to bring
her book back for months.  Sent notes home, asked her every time I saw her
about it, etc.  She said her little brother had "tore it up".  I kept telling
her to bring it in and let me see it that it might not be a big deal and I
might be able to fix the book to keep her from paying for it.  She finally
brought it in...and told me her baby brother had peed on the cover!  My aide
and I left it on top of a filing cabinet for a month or two before
counsulting with the school nurse about germs...  With her assurances, I
borrowed some rubber gloves and cleaner/disinfectant and cleaned the jacket.
After all of this...I opened the book up and discovered serveral missing
pages!

But the craziest story involves a teacher.  I guess we all have at least one
teacher we consider to have the Twilight Zone room...where things go in...but
don't necessarily come out...or come out the same.  One of my teacher-friends
at my school is the primary one at our school.  She had a teacher's manual
from a Scholastic Kit...and I spent several months reminding her to bring it
back.  She finally admitted that it had fell in her cat litter box...and
brought it in....  I could tell & smell from a distance that there was
nothing to be done for the manual... and had her chunk it.  Fortunately we
were able to replace it.  Whew....

Tony Pope
McHenry Primary School
100 McHenry Drive