Dear USA colleagues
I was waiting for someone from Australia to respond to this question first
..thanks Trish.

School uniforms are the norm in most state and independent schools up to
Year 6, and in independent schools to Year 10 (15-16 years old). Students in
Year 11 and 12 can do their own thing, which they look forward to, but after
a few months have been heard to wish they had a uniform!    Independent
schools have the right to make their wearing compulsory, but here in the ACT
state schools can only 'encourage' rather than 'demand'.  However, most
students choose to wear them.

In the past, both here and New Zealand, our English origins were reflected
in the choice of colours and clothing with blazers, hats, gloves and ties
being required for both boys and girls with mandatory winter and summer
uniforms; but now there is more flexibility where there are set items in the
primary schools which students may mix and match as they please. Many of the
secondary schools allow students to make their own choices based on three or
four school colours.  Some choose to say no jeans or no offensive logos.
Because of the extreme UV factors here and the high incidence of skin
cancer, most schools have a sunsmart code of 'no hat, no play' and most
primary schools demand a broad-brimmed hat rather than a cap.  This applies
for all four terms as temperature is no indication of the UV rate.

Apart from the economic and peer pressure aspects being eliminated,  it is
also a method of our students being able to proclaim that they are members
of a very special group of kids ~ the students of Palmerston Primary! They
wear it with pride and know that they and the school they represent are held
in high regard in the community.

Like Trish, our staff also has a corporate 'uniform' which is entirely
voluntary.  We have a range of tops in our colours of navy, teal and white,
each with our school logo which can be teamed with anything, as well as a
tracksuit which is ideal for wearing to sports events both within the school
and to district carnivals.  Many of choose to wear our 'uniform' regularly
and visitors and parents often comment on how smart and professional we
look.

Cheers
Barbara

Barbara Braxton