 Another damaged book tale.

I'll never forget the story of the two clueless 8th grade girls who tore
a number of pages out of the encyclopedia for use in their class
report.  Each child in that class had used those volumes to look up the
exact same people and after I found out that the damage was done, I
entered the class with the damaged volumes and said, "OK, no questions
asked, just leave the pages on my desk so I can tape them back in
because every year this grade studies these same people and I can't
afford a new encyclopedia....etc. etc." (They had been neatly cut, as if
with a razor.)

Well, after a few days of nothing I was dissapointed, but figured I
would have to photocopy those pages from the public library or
something, when the 8th grade teacher came running in with the student's
finished reports that had just been handed in.  Two reports had a bit of
a better look--since each was illustrated with a color photo of the
person on the title page!  When we peeled back the glued-on photo, gee
whiz, it had printing on the other side!  (They were too bird-brained to
bother to photocopy the pages they tore out.)  The girls were called in
to the principal and insisted that they did not do it.  First they said
that it was a photocopy,   Then they said that, no, their uncle had
allowed them to cut out the pictures from his Encyclopedia Judaica, they
forgot.  When the principal asked for the phone number of their uncle,
they finally confessed.

End of story:  I told their parents that they each owed me half of
$140.00 (the cost to replace the Jr. Judaica set) as they had cut out
about 12 pages of very useful material just to illustrate their reports
(which had been copied word for word from the article, anyway). The moms
eventually came in with the money and asked me to give them the entire
old set, since they felt that since they bought a new one, they were
entitled to keep the old one.  I said, sorry, ladies, it dosen't work
that way in this case.....

--
Lisa Handelman
Library teacher