Thanks Lee Ann for compiling that great "HIT" on late books. I'd like to
add something that works well for me, and I didn't see it listed in any of
the several parts of the "HIT."

I have a phone right at my circ desk. Now when I have "forgetters" with
books more than 2 weeks overdue, or the ones who ALWAYS forget, I have them
call home on the spot! Most families now have an answering machine, so I
tell them to leave a message reminder to themselves. Usually a parent hears
the message, reminds them to get the book and put it in their backpack.

Even if they tell me they don't have an answering machine (or service), and
they say "No one's at home" I still have them call. They are often
surprised that someone is home! This works better for me than placing the
calls myself, since my Spanish isn't always intelligible, and I don't speak
any Vietnamese, Chinese, or Korean (yet!).

If there isn't anyone at home, I then have them WRITE OUT the reminder and
the book title.

When that doesn't work, I come in early, 45 minutes before the first bell
and begin calling them at home BEFORE they leave for school. If a parent
seems upset or frazzled, I politely say that the book is very late and I
thought they'd prefer a phone call before I send out a bill (or send a
referral to the vice principal) . . . 99% of the time, they do appreciate
it when explained politely in that fashion, and the book comes back within
a day or two.

Joanne Ladewig
Information Center Director
Fairgrove Academy - a K-8 public school focusing on
   the Visual and Performing Arts, and Technology
La Puente, CA
jladewig@ns700-1.enet.hlpusd.k12.ca.us
home email: shatz@lightside.com