I'm glad that Korte raised the question in terms of ethics, rather than "is
it legal?" since the legality of so many items here overseas is different
than in the United States.

As many administrators (and teachers) know, sometimes we almost doodle, or
make notes to ourselves, when we are reading reports.  It might be that
this administrator is simply interested in what a particular teacher is
doing.  Many times this will be for the most positive reasons.

Most often that kind of notation will not really mean doing a followup or
even expecting the author making a report on it.  So that is the end of it.

However, some administrators will use information in dubious ways,
sometimes to the disadvantage of the persons involved.

We attempt to serve our clients to the best of their interests and I can
see no reason, when we are suspicious of motives, that we must provide
information that would be to their disadvantage and, ultimately, detract
from the services that we provide.

Frankly, pushed further in that situation, I would simply find a memory
block.  It is amazing how many things I can forget when I need to.

Finally, I see no point in any reports to "name names" when I'm referring
to the clients I am paid to provide a quality service to.  Names in such
reports do need the persons involved to know before publication that they
are specifically included.

Earl P Sande
Elementary School Librarian
Director of Library Services