I personally can not name a lot of books about Maryland because I am at
home and my mind is black. As for Black-eyed Susan books. I get a lot of
use out of the picture books. I use them with all grades. In grades K-2 I
read the books to the students. I gave them papers to rate each book after
we read them. We then voted for the one they liked best. They really enjoy
tallying the votes together and waiting until the get all of the grade
level votes or school votes.  For grades 3-5 I tried something different
this year and the kids really seemed to enjoy it. I made a list of all the
books with 1-5 beside them for the kids to rate the book. I then put a
place where they could write what they liked and what they didn't like
about the book. I allowed the students to work in pairs or groups of three
to read the books and rate them. I allowed them to move anywhere in the
room as long as they were quiet and working. They really worked hard,
reading the books to each other, discussing their opinions and rating the
books.They then voted differently than the younger grades. I had them
write a paragraph telling the committee why they should select the book of
their choice. They were to use examples from the books. I had some very
good paragraphs.
In the past I have spent more time with the books andtried to do an
activity or paper with each book. This took toomuch time and I found if I
didn't do something fun with a book the students tended to not vote for
that. I did not want my activities to sway the votes.
I buy one hardback copy of each easy and upper elementary books. My
teachers will read the chapter books to their classes, I tried reading
them, but never have enough time.
I try to get paperback copies of the chapter books, especially since I
have my book fair in Nov. I usually get several then.
One thing I did this year that has really increased the number of
Black-eyed Susan books being checked out. I set up a shelf in the front
ofthe library and keep all of the Black-eyed Susan books on it. I make
sure each is also marked with a Black-eyed Susan sticker on the spine so
they are easily identified when books are reshelved.

Hope this helps

Diane Mentzer
Paramount Elementary School             "Learning to Read is Basic,
Hagerstown, MD                           Loving to Read is the Plus"
dmentzer@umd5.umd.edu
mentzdia@mail.wcboe.k12.md.us
http://www.wcboe.k12.md.us/mainfold/schoopag/elementary/paramount/index.html