On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Dorothy E. Tissair wrote:

This part is the answer to the question about what you would have them
do differently in response:

>         Lastly, I do not find the response to my complaint compatible with a
> company that desires any repeat business.  Again having been there I know
> that it doesn't take two weeks to deliver a prepaid return ticket.  I also
> know that rather than lose the current sale and potential repeat sales most
> direct sales companies would have overnighted a duplicate shipment with a
> return label for the first, when it arrived.

So this is the message they need to get. I gave a similar message Friday
to the company from which I ordered my blinds and windowshades. They
didn't comply but it's the message I gave them!

>         As to your doubt that poor service has an impact on stock prices,
> think about this.  The most recent 17% drop in Amazon stock prices came
> immediately after the report of greater than anticipated losses due to lower
> than anticipated sales.

I'm not trying to defend amazon per se, but they still had an 84%
increase in sales. Their book sales department is showing a profit.
THeir company as a whole, however, is not. The most recent downgrade
were also heavily influenced by debt load, Galli's resignation, and a
failed scheme to bring in other e-businesses who have, to date, been
unable to pay their bill. The scheme caused a fair bit of interest
among investors (prices went up) but Amazon took equity stakes and now
it's not going to get its money.

> I like you have placed several orders with
> Amazon.com in the past, but I will have to think twice before ordering
> again.  They were the first online but they are no longer the only.

It's always good to think twice and you have a legitmate reason
for complaint. I'd be bothered too. I am no stranger to poor
service from a couple of (non library related) companies! One of
them (JC Penneys) I know ordinarily provides me with very good
service so I've dealt with the issue and will go on with life,
still a Penney's customer. The one incident did not represent a
trend. It represented an isolated screw-up. The other
company, well, I'm quite sure I will never do business with them again.
They could send me all new stuff for free at this point and I
still wouldn't be a repeat customer.

   Not all who wander are lost...

   J. Rathbun, Librarian
   Lincoln Elementary School - Las Vegas, Nevada
   jrathbun@orednet.org [home]