-----Original Message-----
  I haven't seen this to be true, at least in
the
Pacific Northwest.  The most respected teachers in my current school
dress
casually.
--------------------------
This doesn't prove that dressing up does not change others perceptions of
you, it just proves that those two teachers have earned respect because of
their professional behavior.

Unfortunately many people we deal with don't have time to get to know us
well.  Board members, district personel, sales reps, and others know us only
in passing.  And people in general do judge us based on our appearance.  My
current school has dress-up day every Wednesday, most faculty and staff wear
ties, dresses, pant suits, etc.  It does affect the atmosphere here and the
way people react to each other.

If we want librarians to be seen as leaders instead of clerks/caretakers it
helps to dress the way leaders in schools traditionally dress.  Of course I
don't wear a jacket and tie when I'm running network cable and I still come
decked-out in purple and gold on spirit days but I try to wear a tie as
often as I can and I avoid jeans unless I know I have a dirty job to do that
day.  Librarians- especially here in California- have a long way to go to
get the respect our position deserves and every little bit helps.

----
Tony Doyle, Librarian
Livingston High School, Livingston, CA
tdoyle@muhsd.k12.ca.us
<Http://www.lhs.muhsd.k12.ca.us/html/lhslibrary/lhslib.htm>
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."-- Groucho Marx