Hi folks,

At a recent lecture, a speaker as an aside tossed out the question "What
would happen if education REALLY worked?" I've been a bit haunted by that
question ever since and have asked a number of friends and family their
reactions.

For the sake of clarity, let's say that if education REALLY worked that all
students would leave high school having mastered basic reading, writing, and
math skills and were information literate - they could find, analyze, and
use information to solve real problems.
My cynical side says that we'd have a lot of unemployed politicians. My son
who had just completed an 8th grade human sexuality unit thought there would
be fewer STDs and unwanted pregnancies. One friend worried that his favorite
fast food restaurant would close for lack of staffing.

What do you think? As your school year (of probably mixed effectiveness)
ends, jot down your idea of an imaginary world in which education REALLY
works and email it to me at dougj@doug-johnson.com. I will include your name
and email address in the hit unless you tell me you'd rather remain
anonymous.

I'll post a hit before I leave on vacation June 23rd.

Thanks! I look forward to hearing from you.

Doug

Doug Johnson
Author, Speaker, Consultant
209 W 5th St