Thank you to all who responded.
Janet Matthews, LMS
Shining Mountain Elementary
Spanaway, WA
jpm910@yahoo.com

Summer Reading Program Ideas

I am writing a grant to have a summer reading program at our elementary
school. A great resource is Running Summer Library Reading Programs : A
How-To-Do-It Manual (How-To-Do-It Manuals for Librarians, No 81)
Carole D. Fiore / Paperback / Published 1998
Good Luck with your program.

I do one every year, and the kids and parents love it. Here's how I do it.
I get 10 extra days on my contract to do summer work. I use part of that
for the summer program. We are open one day a week, usually Wed. I get the
"program" from the State Library. It comes with reading logs, certificates,
and curriculum. I get prizes from the local merchants. I am open 1:00pm -
6:00pm. The storyhour is 1:30 - 2:30 with stories, fingerplays, crafts and
usually some kind of light snack. Donated by local merchant, through our
adopt-a-school grocery store or a parent. And the inevitable out of my own
pocket. Getting books back hasn't been to bad, as everyone is in our
neighborhood. I encourage the area day care centers to come too. It is a
lot of work, but very rewarding. Feel free to contact me if you would like
to know more.

Janet--Our Public Library System cooperates with our local school district
Prince William County Public Schools (VA) to support their school summer
reading assignments. Our ten libraries help provide over 50,000 students
with public library books during the summer. The choices of the teachers
can be found on the School District's website at http://www.pwcs.edu click
on Instructional programs and then on Summer Reading programs. Remember to
involve your public libraries with your plans, because they will be open
this summer, while your schools are closed. As a public librarian I have
encouraged the school district to use subjects, or themes, or genre rather
than specific titles which gather long waiting lists during the summer
whenever more than 3,000 students are looking for the same title. I also
encourage teachers to make sure the book is IN PRINT before suggesting a
title on the list.

I've had a summer reading program for several years. Each student is allowed
to check out 10 books from our school library for the summer. I also
encourage the students to join local public library summer reading programs.
Our students come from all over the state of Ohio. Many of them can not get
to a local program. The ten books help tide them over until school starts
again. Our teachers plan a learning packet for each elementary student for
the summer. Our students and their families may borrow sign language
materials all summer long. We staff our library year round. I have had only
one or two students who've had problems getting the ten books back. I think
a summer reading program is worth a try.