LM_Netters,

I am posting this query for a friend here in Switzerland regarding
textbooks. In none of my jobs have I ever had to get involved in ordering
textbooks so I cannot help her.

She is librarian for a business school here that offeres a university
degree in business admin. She would like to order the textbooks directly.
Currently she orders them through a bookstore here and it is very expensive
(seriously more expensive, as in more than twice sometimes nearly three
times the cost of the books in US).

Are there jobbers who specialize in textbooks? Is it better to go directly
to the publisher? She says  that e-mail replies  on the publisher's
websites never get replies. *

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Please reply directly to my e-mail.
And TIA.

* A digression--I have noticed this too. Replying to a hotel or any other
commercial establishment that has a reply function via e-mail rarely
generates an answer. I still tend to call. But with automated voice mail
putting one through endless routing to finally end up holding for 20
minutes (or more) to get to a live person can be very expensive even with
declining telephone rates.

Ellen Beunderman
Consultant, Primary School Library of
The International School of Paris, France

Geneva, Switzerland
ellenb@iprolink.ch