Here is a hit on the books about starting your own small business.  Thanks
everyone!

Hello! As I finish my MLS, I also work for a small business development
center here in Indiana. I'm not sure if you or the teacher is familiar
with our services, but we have locations nationwide that provide free
business counseling and information on starting a business. There are
plenty of books on Amazon for starting a business, but I would suggest
finding information that is relevant to your state or local area. Below is
a website link to all of the small business development centers in
Georgia. They can provide you w/start up information or recommend some
good resources to get started. Good Luck!

http://www.sbdc.uga.edu/mappage2.html

International Self-Counsel Press of North Vancouver, British Columbia with
branches in Toronto and Seattle publish a series of books on starting a
small business. Most of them are titled "How to start ...." and then get
specific about the type of business -- gift baskets, importing, writing,
etc. Each title deals with marketing, business plans, financing, etc. A lot
of the information in each would be generic to any business where as other
material is specific. Many of the writers are individuals that have been
successful in that particular business. Where the informations is specific
to Canada or the United States is also explained. Each title costs between
$15.00 - $20.00 Canadian.

I have several such books at home. Are you looking for something for the
library, or for personal use? Does your colleague know what type of
business? Home-based or storefront? Product or service? Full-time or
part-time? These are all questions that need to be answered in the search
for the "perfect" business.

These books come out so often (and disappear just as quickly) that what I
bought three years ago probably isn't available anymore. I would suggest
that your colleague read Inc. magazine and spend some time at the local
bookstore.  One current "guru" is Peter Drucker. He has several books out.
You might try one of his.

In our area the Small Business administration occasionally places
informative ads in the local paper telling that it gives advice on starting
a new business!

Thanks!
Kim Royle
LARS/MLIS Grad student