What sort of outreach activities does your private school librarian do?

Who fields the questions from the public?

Do you lend to the public other than parents and relatives of your =
school's student population?

Are you open as a research facility to university students who are =
studying to become professionals working with the population your school =
serves?

Do you charge for these services?

My school is in the middle of identifying and defining outreach services.  =
I'd like to be able to show how we could serve the community as a resource =
without draining our staff (me) or costing us other resources.  We already =
are members of the state library ILL service and our library is open to =
the public for research (borrowing only with a refundable book deposit) =
and .10 cents a page for copying.  Before the person comes in, I interview =
them on the phone to make sure they have exausted public resources.  We =
also permit teaching staff from other schools to come in and look over our =
resources in house...watch our videos prior to purchase etc. =20

The school worries that if this service were made public it would impinge =
on our resources.  The administration would want to charge for the =
consultation service.  Do any libraries out there charge fees for =
consultation services?  How do you structure the fees?  Do the benefits =
outweigh the costs?

Thank you for considering these issues.

I'll compile a hit, if there's an interest.

Regards,

Roselle

Roselle Weiner
LRC/Library Services Coordinator