Deborah,
Eric Carle Picture Writer is indeed a wonderful video and actually
speaks more to older fans than to the very young.  His collage
explanation is very appropriate for middle, junior high, and even
high school students.  Much information about him is available on his
website at http://www.eric-carle.com which also has his video
available for purchase.  The video is also distributed by Weston
Woods 1-800-243-5020.

Those of you who are working with middle school or high school social
studies instructors (who are teaching about the Holocaust or WW II)
may be interested in getting your hands on Eric Carle's entry in the
SOMETHING ABOUT THE AUTHOR: AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL series.  He writes an
account of his youth in Germany during the War and how, as a child in
a German family he was sent to the country for safety, the bombing
etc. that rained on Stuttgard.  An interesting perspective of the
German home front.   NOTE that the entry is in the AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL
series.  The entry is very moving and puts in perspective a few of
the comments in the video where he does mention his family and his
kindergarten friend -- and clarifies some of the short stories in
Flora and Tiger: 19 very short stories from my life (1993).

Using the life of Eric Carle to build new knowledge about art (making
collages) and WW II is a great ploy to connecting students to new
learning.

Sharron

--
Sharron L. McElmeel <mailto:mcelmeel@mcelmeel.com>