Dear Brenda
Why does your principal think that the staff need to know PowerPoint?  How
will being able to use it increase the learning outcomes of the students?

My personal belief (shaped by Jamie McKenzie and personal experience) is
that giving software demonstrations per se to large groups is not the way to
go if there is no particular purpose that the new user has to know it.
McKenzie call it just-in-time learning rather than just-in-case.  You learn
best when you have a need to know.

That said, why don't you create a presentation that answers the second
question and present it to the staff. Tease out all the aspects, including
the fact that kids get a great buzz out of the bells and whistles so that
just using the software itself is an attraction, let alone what it can do.
In other words demonstrate what PowerPoint can do and how it will engage the
students and enhance their learning by using PowerPoint.

That might last about 15 mins (max because people will be wanting to have a
go) and then give them the rest of the session to explore the program for
themselves.  That caters for the levels of learning that will be in the
group - those who are proficient with MS products will soon figure out the
toolbars and stuff, and then they or you can support those who are at an
earlier stage. Give them a taster and invite them back for another session
in a small group when it suits you and them. Or ask those who know to be a
buddy for those who don't and have them arrange a mutual time.  Perhaps they
can set up a class project.

Last year I wanted to do a PP to support a unit on minibeasts, and I
arranged for the students in another class who were very proficient in PP to
tutor my kids.  The tutors were Yr 1 and 2; the tutees were Yr 3 & 4 and it
worked a treat.  The little ones felt very special, the older ones just saw
them as a personal trainer.

Some of the things I would add to Art's list would be

fancy font for heading, plain font for text - makes reading and retaining
the message easier
dark background, light text and vice versa
graphics should be against a monochrome background (it may be textured) and
must add to the message

although these are generic to any presentation.  It's just the medium that
is different.

Have fun
Barbara

Barbara Braxton