The problem with most PowerPoint Presentations is the order and emphasis of
the words.  PowerPoint should NOT come before Presentation.  ;->

The whole point of using PowerPoint is to enhance your presentation.  It
you look at the PowerPoint presentations of keynote speakers who get $3000+
for an hour presentation you will find the "Less is More" concept in
action.  Whether it is for the teacher or the student, the emphasis should
be on developing presentation skills and the PowerPoint part of that should
focus on the things you can easily do with PowerPoint to emphasize your words.

I often give 3-hour workshops that focus on using technology to enhance
presentations, but I never give 3-hour PowerPoint workshops, even though
PowerPoint is used throughout the 3 hours.  The three hours can be crammed
into one if you leave out a lot of non-essential material such as
transitions, sound, video and some graphics concepts.

Show them how to use the design templates. (Forget about covering building
from a blank presentation, transitions, and animation, but let them know
where they can find out about them.)
Create a Title Slide, bullet slide, and a bullet with graphic slide.
Use the built in clip-art and if you have time show them how to get other
graphics
Teach them the Magic of 6 - No more than 6 words per idea and no more than
6 ideas per slide.

Remind them that what they SAY is the important thing and what they show on
the screen should ADD to it, not detract from it.

While talking to David Thronburg about his PowerPoint, I noted how his
slides are mostly visuals and always add tremendous value to what he is
saying without ever repeating what he is saying.  His comment to me was
something to the effect of, "Yes, I try to avoid text. Sometimes I use
bullets, but I try to avoid them because I remember that bullets are deadly."

You might find this WebQuest I created, helpful.  (It was created for full
day or longer workshops.)
http://www.web-and-flow.com/members/awolinsk/pptpoison/webquest.htm

Art