>t's also a good time to buy stars and stuff if you are planning a space
>display or anything to do with the night sky.  And of course calendar
>half-price sales are on the way for cheap picture kits!

 I buy star related stuff to save/give as volunteer gifts because our
students are referred to as "SuperStars" (would that be our mascot?)

re: Calendars at half-price... many  shopping malls have stores or kiosks
set up specifically for a calendar company at this time of year.
Companies such as "Calendar Club" or "Day by Day" rent space from Sept -
january. Their inventory is generally disposed of when the store closes
in January. A few years ago, I was able to get several boxes of donated
calendars (with just the back cover torn off, this page has the UPC code
which enables the store to receive credit for the unsold merchandise) for
our school. While I couldnt pick and choose, I was able to provide the
manager with a list of topics that I could use or were appropriate. As
most of our staff was female at the time, he took it upon himself to
include some Chippendale calendars "for the teachers".

Doesn't hurt to ask what the stores will be doing withthier leftover
calendars. Places like Barnes and Noble, usually do not/cannot give them
away, they have to be returned to the warehouse (what they do with them
there, I don't know).

Suzanne Ng, Librarian
South Mountain Elementary School Library
444 West South Orange Avenue
South Orange, NJ 07079
1-973-378-7848 (voice & fax)
email: sng@somsd.k12.nj.us (school)