I work in a K-12 school, and the collections, though house in the same
great space, or officially separate--picture books and easy readers in
ther "children's room" with MS fiction and adult ficiton in different
sections. Generally, I push the books that seem to fit better with the
upper MS students to that group only.  My booktalks focus on the more
mature themes, I warn in advance that some might be uncomfortable with
the language. I also indicate somehow that sex is involved if it is.  And
I try to see that the catalog description is specific rather than
vague.  If I catalog Jade Green as a ghost story, and give a good summary,
then the kids really into ghost stories will find it and they can tell
pretty well if they can handle it.  I wouldn't book talk that one to
younger ones, but I did recommend it to a couple 5's this year.  I am
lucky to be in a school with small enough classes that I get to know the
kids pretty well.
 I loved Stuck in Neutral, but I wouldn't even suggest it
to kids below 7th.  Those kids are dealing with social issues in their
"seek" classes (guidance related), so they have a forum to discuss tricky
issues. I actually recommended it to the 8th grade teacher as a possible
class novel.
I'm also in a place that has never experienced a challenge, and have a
core of parent volunteers who are willing to discuss issues of choice, and
they know I'll listen and take them seriously.

Maureen S. Irwin
Director of the Library
Rye Country Day School
Rye, N.Y.