I'm just a lurker here (considering going back to school for my MLS and just
reading the posts to get a better sense of what's out there professionally).
However, I thought I'm pipe up on this issue:

From all I've read AOL has been very unhelpful with solving the HTML
annoyance.  However, a lot of people have solved it themselves doing the
following:

How to send plain text from AOL V6.0:
=====================================

1. Make sure your font is set to Arial 10, the AOL default.

2. Create a message using only default Arial 10 type. Any
   quoted text pasted in from another message must also be
   in Arial 10 type (no bold, other sizes or colors). Note:
   if you paste a message that was received in HTML format,
   it will probably cause you to send in HTML.

3. Hit Control-A to highlight the entire message.

4. Right click anywhere in the message itself: A 'popup menu'
   will appear. Move the cursor to "text" and another menu
   will appear. Move the cursor to "normal" and click on it.

5. Send the message.

It's been tested an does appear to work.

-Meg, a lurker