I am switching for a few reasons. The precipitating moment came a few
years ago. I was a computer literacy teacher. We at our school decided
that I would be a greater school asset as a school-wide computer
teacher. I did not have assigned classes, teachers booked time with me,
brought their students in and I taught them the computer skills they
needed for the projects they were doing. Well, that only lasted one
semester, even though I was booked solid and the teachers still say
that was the best use of me and my lab. Unfortunately, the district,
the union and the other exploratories teachers objected. I had to have
assigned classes, I was impacting the class sizes of the other
teachers. I said "Librarians don't have assigned classes." They
said "we already plan and budget for that." Hmmmmmmmmm. I looked into
library media and the direction it was going, sounded good to me.

What cinched it for me was this last year. I kept saying, I'll get my
library credential when I'm not so busy. I'll always be busy. I don't
know how not to be. This last year, someone else at my school site had
no other position available that he was credentialed to fill and I had
a math credential. After 9 years teaching computers, I was a math
teacher again. Eeek. Middle of the school year, I started my classes.

I like being a whole-school resource. I want to teach people how to
learn what they want to know on their own. This is what I am working
toward.

Barbara Adams Currier
Math Teacher/LM student
Hanshaw Middle School