Hi ya'll,

I have a couple of others to add to the books that cause both tears and
laughter. The books are by Marie Killilea and are entitled Karen and With
love from Karen. Karen was born with cerebral palsy in a time when
families were told to institutionalize "these children." Marie, her
mother, would not do so. The two books cover her mother's efforts to get
Karen to be able to be independent (or close).

What I liked is that the mother never painted herself as a heroine or a
saint. The story was told complete with warts and all. Wren (which is out
of print) is the young children's version (which I have not been able to
obtain and read).

For those of you who would like to preview this story and read up on some
of the events in the family after the book, you can check out the
following:

http://www.parsley.org/killilea/

I enjoyed these books as a young girl, a college student, a librarian,
and later as a mother. The two main books have not gone out of print
since they were published in 1952 and 1963. I have recommended them to
mothers of children with handicapping conditions and they have come back
to thank me.

MaryAnn

MaryAnn Doty Rizzo
Former librarian