>I was tempted to complain about the cat message but knew I would spend
>the rest of my week answering angry messages.  This is supposed to be a

>moderated list, How did this message get through.

  LM_NET is an unmoderated list for postings which is not unusual
considering the huge member list. Postings appear instantly as opposed
to hours or days later on a moderated list (like the sister EDTECH list
which I enjoy very much, but at times I hate the long wait before a
followup appears). LM_NET owners and the climate committee moderate
after the fact...if it's a serious transgression they will ban the
member. Sometimes for minor issues a private note to the poster is sent
(OK...I've received a couple myself since 1992). *;-)

  I myself have been guilty of OFFTOPIC postings several years ago.
Since I started the Topic header idea years ago (and still bear the
scars of that list controversy) I think LM_NET has benefited from the
voluntary use of descriptive headers. Many lists and web forums also
have a topic reserved for OFFTOPIC postings and I think it's a fun idea
myself. But then 14,000+ members would have a good squabble over adding
that to the voluntary list that currently exists.

  As a public service announcement here are the current recommended